segunda-feira, janeiro 29, 2007

Anne Teresa de Keersmaeker

Álvaro Teixeira: What does it mean to you to work on the music of Amadeus?

Anne Teresa de Keersmaeker: It is inspiring. His music is so sublime that it is very special for me to work based on his works.

AT Of course it depends on the musical performers, but don't you run the risk of seeing your work, if the performers are high level musicians, take a back seat?

ATK No. I believe I understand Mozart's music and do work that somehow complements it.

AT Anne Teresa: tomorrow we're going to have an orchestra playing on modern instruments. Wouldn't you prefer the interpretation to be done on historical instruments?

ATK Of course, but the music is so good that even with modern instruments it will be an excellent performance.

AT I was able to see some images of this work and I think it is a departure from your usual style. Why did you opt for a neo-classical aesthetic?

ATK The costumes may be conventional but the movements cannot be classified as such.

AT I don't quite agree: the "duo" of the dancer with the singer, in the film you made for the press, was totally neo-classical...

ATK Well... in some way yes. That's how I felt and that was my choice.

AT Does it give you pleasure to work with "live" music?

ATK Sure. But when you need an orchestra, as is the case, it becomes very expensive.

AT Anne Teresa: Unfortunately we have to end now because of a problem with the device that is recording our conversation. It was a pleasure to talk to one of the contemporary creators I most admire.